Thursday 22 March 2012

Zero harm

This morning I was in London, home of perpetual redevelopment and permanent reinvention. As I passed a building site I noticed a sign that had been put in place by a construction company. The company's goal? "Zero deaths".

Never mind injuries. Never mind deadlines. Let's just not kill anyone when we're turning this old office block into a new office block, okay?

Initially, it struck me as the kind of aim Brunel might have aspired to... not a 21st century building contractor.

But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. In Brunel's time, construction-related fatal accidents - while regrettable - would happen pretty regularly. It was dangerous work. Today, construction is much safer. Accidents still happen but they're less frequent and less serious. It's now realistic to set a goal of avoiding serious injuries.

Mind you, I'm not convinced that 'zero deaths' or 'keeping the public safe' really require a well-publicised commitment. It doesn't reassure me, anyway.

No comments: