Tuesday 7 January 2014

We resolve to... learn a language

The January 2014 edition of Viva Lewes sees a number of contributors each trying something different as a New Year's resolution. I fancied learning Spanish.

Do you remember watching John Cleese in A Fish Called Wanda?  He seduced Jamie Lee Curtis with an unlikely combination of Russian and Italian. I reckon the Spanish language would be even more effective. That's my plan for 2014, anyway. You see, every so often I travel to Spain for work. It's only for a few days every year and rarely requires me to say much more than 'gracias' in the local language because I'm heading to an English-speaking trade show. However, in a few weeks I'll probably be ordering tapas, chatting confidently with taxi drivers and maybe I'll find an opportunity to use a few words at home, too. Well, if it worked for John Cleese...


No comments: