Thursday 23 April 2009

Lewes: the Cuilfail Tunnel

A few months ago I moved to East Sussex and now live just outside the county town of Lewes. I was born and brought up over the border in West Sussex – and grew up with the slightly odd idea that West was best. Because I’m here in Lewes, I thought it was time to learn slightly more about the East; my new home. And I’m going to start by heading underground.

Cuilfail TunnelThe Cuilfail Tunnel is the single reason that many people don’t visit Lewes, because it allows traffic on the busy A27 to bypass the town. It’s around 430 metres long, boring through a chalk hillside between the eastern edge of Lewes and the roundabout south of me at Southerham.

The tunnel was officially opened in December 1980, although it’s part of a traffic planning process that started before the Second World War and involved a couple of angry public inquiries in 1964 and 1972. The bypass itself was started in 1975, with work on the tunnel beginning a few years later.

Today, the tunnel is having more than £2 million of government money spent on renovating it. There’s new cladding and new lighting going inside, which will apparently help to reduce future maintenance costs. It may not be pretty but it’s a welcome alternatCuilfail Tunnelive to the original plan from the 1970s, which would have seen all the houses demolished along one side of South Street.

The tunnel gets its name from the Cuilfail area of Lewes, although it’s not a local name. Just over a hundred years ago the land above the tunnel, which is now a golf course, was owned by a local solicitor who named it after a house he owned in Scotland. Apparently the Gaelic root means "Shelter” or “Retreat”.

And the tunnel’s not the only modern landmark in the area. At the Lewes end of the tunnel is a spiral sculpture of Portland Stone that suggests a giant ammonite fossil – the kind of thing you might find in the chalk that the tunnel cuts through. It was created by Peter Randall-Page and was placed here in 1983 to Peter Randall-Page ammonitemark the tunnel’s opening. Locally it’s often called the snail – perhaps an appropriate metaphor for the state of local traffic if the tunnel wasn’t here.

2 comments:

sandra said...

thanks for this, Mark. I've been trawling the net for some time, trying to find the meaning of cuifail without success. also your info on the 'snail'. I go through the tunnel many times on the trek to my mum's from the new forest to newenden (a few miles north of rye). welcome to east sussex, where I was born in hastings, but have now lived most of my life between the new forest and southampton water.
Sandra

Kim said...

I aint never seen the tunnel or Cuilfail (pron. C. Will Fail ?) but I work for a Solicitor and put this address on a contract today. As I couldn't even say it let alone know where it was, I reached your blog ... now that IS clever !
good info from solid local chap thank you Mark Bridge (much better than the other one who or whatever they might be)