Monday 28 December 2009

The rabbi, the comic and the poet

I've had a good year for live entertainment. A few weeks ago I went to see An Audience with Rabbi Lionel Blue. It was the last part of what I thought of as my "carpe diem" 2009 tour. You see, I'd nearly booked tickets to see Chas & Dave - but didn't. Next thing I know, they're not performing together. I didn't want the same sort of thing to happen again, which is why I've been to see John Cooper Clarke, Simon Amstell and Rabbi Blue this year.

And you know what? All three shows were pretty similar (in a good way, naturally). Any one could have been prefixed by "A conversation with..." - but I reckon the rabbi told the most jokes. After suggesting that problems were also opportunities, he went on to explain that his health was presenting him with plenty of opportunities at the moment. (May he live to 120). My favourite joke involved the mohel - but he tells it much better than I could, so I won't. Sadly there wasn't time for me to meet him after the show, although he was happy to wait.

John Cooper Clarke - who, like Rabbi Blue, doesn't seem to be planning retirement - also kept the audience entertained with jokes and conversation between his poems. And Simon Amstell's entire act was very much like a conversation with the audience.

Which is how I like my stage shows. If I wanted something two-dimensional, I'd have watched them on TV. If I wanted to drift off into my own thoughts, I'd have read a book. Instead - and in all three cases - I left feeling that we'd had a bit of a chat and the world was a better place. If only they'd consider touring together.

No comments: